Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST will help the openness
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:57:37 +0100

Dne 15.2.2011 12:34, Johannes Meixner napsal(a):

Hello,

On Feb 15 09:03 Jiri Srain wrote (excerpt):
Actually, this leads to one requirement on the overal architecture,
which was mentioned couple of times already:
To have a back-end providing the business logic with a reasonable
high-level API, on top of which both YaST and WebYaST
can provide their UIs.

At least for me it is the topmost feature which YCP provides
what helps me to make a tool for my particular config task:

One language where I can describe the UI independent from the
various actual user-frontends (ncurses, Gtk, QT).

But even YCP does not provide sufficient high-level functions
to describe the UI really easily.

... shortened a bit ...

In the end I have something like the automatic layout of TeX in mind.

Of course I know that there is not the needed manpower...

Let's get some fresh inspiration in other (similar projects), for
instance Android :)

This part describes all the Android layers in general:
http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is-android.html

This part describes the Android application UI layout. It can be easily
written in XML (or Java, but XML is preferred):
http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/views/index.html

UI written in XML is easy to understand, easy to write (e.g., in Eclipse
with Android SDK plug-in), well documented. And it's similar to layout
written in YCP (except, it's a well-known language).

Bye
Lukas

- --

Lukas Ocilka, Appliances Department, Novell Inc.