Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST will help the openness
On Monday 14 February 2011 10:45:42 Jiri Suchomel wrote:
Dne pátek 11 Únor 2011 16:02:10 Martin Vidner napsal(a):
Motivation: removing barriers to entry like I proposed is fine, but
YaST already includes everything and the kitchen sink, so people
have little motivation to contribute by adding new features.

I agree. Why they should want to add new features, when all of them are
already present.

On the
other hand, WebYaST is small feature-wise, so we could take advantage
of that and of the current demand for the web stuff and make sure
contributing to WebYaST is easy.

I think we need to use non-YaST backend for webYaST.

By this, I do not mean that old YaST should be obsoleted or completely
replaced by webYaST. I just think that the goals and primary features
(feature richness vs. speed and small size) of both projects are
different.

Actually, this leads to one requirement on the overal architecture, which was
mentioned couple of times already: To have a back-end providing the business
logic with a reasonable high-level API, on top of which both YaST and WebYaST
can provide their UIs.

Afterwards, porting a module form classical YaST to WebYaST will mean only
creating the screen layout.

Jiri

--
Regards,