  • From: Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:11:50 -0500

On 02/11/2011 10:43 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:

Hello,

On Feb 11 10:17 Robert Schweikert wrote (excerpt):
On 02/11/2011 05:07 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
You lost me.

Sorry, why? Please explain what elements of the revised diagram throw
you for a loop. rev2 is in principle the same as the original.

I cannot because to explain something, one has
to understand it.

I asked you to explain what you didn't understand ;)

How about the attached diagram?

Much better.

What I think what it means is that I need only to care
about the green part (i.e. make a configuration module).

Yes.

The rest seems to only show me the environment and I don't
need to care about the various kind of user frontends.
They are there and all of them "just work".

Yes, but if you want to have a module that others can interact with via
the command line or a GUI you will have to implement that behavior.
There is no "automagic generate my UI code" engine.

Of course if I may find out later that I would have to care
about the various user frontends,

Only the user front ends you deem important to support. However, since
things are nicely separated someone else who really likes to implement
GUIs can easily put a frontend on top of you module.

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147