On 02/11/2011 10:24 AM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Robert Schweikert <rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx> [Feb 11. 2011 16:17]:

How about the attached diagram?

Ok from the general concept, but problematic in two details

- REST is separate from the API of other UIs

Not really, I am trying to express that we need to have some service
that makes the API of the modules in the "Configuration Modules" layer
available. The API itself should still be the same, issue GET or POST

GET (network.getHostname)
POST (network.setDomainname)

vs. the other user interfaces

import yast3.network

yast3.network.getHostname()
yast3.network.setHostname()

But it may not be this simple, not a web developer ;)

- Maintaining a distinct UI-lib plus Qt and Ncurses besides the Web UI
will need a lot of resources. Not alone coding but esp. from a design
point of view.

Well I think UI-lib should really be responsible rendering to GNOME,
KDE, ncurses. The pictorial representation is not good, will think about
how to improve it.

I think we should target something like the following pseudo code:

myConfigGui.extension

import yast3.myConfigBackend
import yast3.gui_elements

text = yast3.gui_elements.text_box()

The gui_elements module takes care of QT vs. Gtk+ vs. ncurses, of course
that is not cheap as far as effort is concerned.

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147