Hello,

On Feb 11 15:37 Thomas Goettlicher wrote (excerpt):
But more important: How to tunnel a gui program to a
webyast module?

More general:
How to tunnel the I/O of an arbitrary program which was
launched by YaST to any kind of YaST user frontend?

It would be something for an "brilliant design" of the
underlying YaST environment that neither the developer
of the YaST module which calls the arbitrary program
nor the end-user who runs the YaST module would have
to care about what goes on behind the scenes.

Off the top of my head:
What about something like VNC?

From the design point you don't want this.
Your example shows that reality looks different. :-(

In the end reality is what matters.

In my case I added a tiny C program to the YaST printer
and scanner modules which tests if a X window can be opened.
If yes the YaST printer and scanner modules launch "hp-setup"
otherwise a user information is shown.

Furthermore I added special RPM spec file hacks so that the
YaST printer and scanner modules have no RPM requirements
for X libraries.

This is my current best-effort attempt to work around
the shortcoming that YaST does not fully support
to run any external program in any end-user environment.

I implement any dirty hack and I ignore any YaST guidelines
if I don't see a better way how I could implement some special
setup support.

This is the result that my focus of mind is basically only
to somehow make a setup tool for my specific setup task ;-)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex