Johannes Meixner write:

Hello,

On Feb 11 09:21 Robert Schweikert wrote (excerpt):
Why must the GUI code be separated from the "backend code"?

Because it is not good programming practice.

This is a reason why it _should_ be spilt but it does not justify
to exclude potential contributors from the very beginning
who may only want to implement a quick-and-dirty first usable
test-version to check if the YaST programming environment
seems to provide what they are looking for.

Remember what I wrote:
... first and foremost it must be easy
for an individual contributor to make his first usable version
of a setup tool for his specific setup task.

Later when he likes to enhace it, it is the right time
for the brilliant design ...

I think that separation UI from backend is quite common unix way ( usually
backend is represented by command line tool, which of course has it
disadvantages, so now it is more common to move backend to library).
For me this separation is something like must-have as backend need root, but
frontend should not need it.
For me as individual contributor is more important well defined and well
documented API to use. ( no I don't agree that code is the best documentation )
With good API contributor know what he can use in his own UI module or if he
want contribute alternative backend part ( like for different distribution or
as porting to different platform ).
Josef

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner