<snip>

I could see a tutorial (and now I am going of on a tangent, I realize
that) structured something like this.

- Your GUI code goes here: SOME_YaST-DIRECTORY
~ import yast3.gui_elements
~ use commonly known elements such as text area, buttons etc.
- Your backend code (code that touches configuration files) goes here:
SOME_OTHER_YaST-DIRECTORY inside a directory with a name to your
liking.
~ Take a look at the API documents found here: SOME-LINK
and try to reuse existing modules as much as possible
~ implement away and "Have a lot of Fun" :)

Hooray!
I understand this!
I want to have it simplified this way!

Why not have it simplified even more?

Why must the GUI code be separated from the "backend code"?

Because it is not good programming practice.

- You want the GUI to be an observer only and represent data in a way
that makes it easy on the user
- Writing GUI code is sufficiently difficult/cumbersome w.r.t. layout
interaction of widgets etc. that in the GUI code one should focus
only on the presentation to the user and not about parsing or data
model etc.
- Mixing GUI code and backend code makes it much more difficult to
use a module in a scripting environment
- Mixing GUI code and backend code leads to unnecessary bloat in a non
GUI environment
- Separation of concerns, the backend is concerned with the data model,
file parsing, API and more, while the GUI is concerned about making
things look pretty. These are often conflicting in some ways.

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147