Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor

Hello,

On Feb 11 01:21 Terje J. Hanssen wrote (excerpt):
IMO YaST tools has been the sole of SUSE, and YaST is what
makes SUSE better and easier to configure than some
other popular distributions

I would like to ask you a question:

What - from a YaST end-user point of view - makes whatever
piece of software which runs on your machine "the SUSE YaST"?

I assume it is nothing else than the look and feel
of its user interface.

In other words, if we replaced the current YaST software
with a totally new software which does not change the look
and feel too much, you would not notice a real difference
and you would call the new software also "YaST".

I.e. I assume you do "Duck typing", see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_typing
When it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

If my assumtion is right, there could be a totally new YaST3
provided the look and feel of its user interface does not change
too much.

This new YaST3 would have to be installed and run together
with the traditional YaST2.

In particular the YaST control center whould have to show
both YaST2 modules plus YaST3 modules.

Then a move from YaST2 to YaST3 could happen step by step
module by module.

But I fear at least for now there is not at all sufficient manpower
to make a totally new YaST3 :-(

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex