On Thursday, February 10, 2011 09:17:03 pm Robert Schweikert wrote:
[...]

Exactly my point, as the implementer for the configuration module I am
willing to write and maintain, I have to stick my stuff into the common
lib. The ASCII art diagram does not allow me to interact with the system
without going through common lib. If I have something that needs a
config file but doesn't fit in with common lib I am screwed and have to
find my own solution for a bunch of things that I shouldn't have to. Or
I have to argue with a bunch of folks to accept my stuff into common
lib. Neither is very appealing to me.

Yes, you don't want to bypass the common lib. If you want add support for
let's say a flux capacitor you extend the common lib by a plugin for flux
capacitors. The yast module uses the functions provided by common lib and
takes care of the user interface and workflows. Adding a webyast module which
configures flux capacitors is easy as is can use the common lib.

[...]

The implemented module provides the domain specific interface used by
all clients, YaST (in QT, Gtk+, or whatever toolkit), WebYaST (or other
Web UI), a CLI tool.....
Well, that sounds like the same approach we wanted to describe with the ascii
art image. It seems we have the same ideas and intentions and just drew them
is a slightly different way.

Nothing is lost. The module (notice the box in my diagram says
"Configuration modules" not "YaST modules") hides the specifics of
individual or multiple config files behind a domain specific generic
interface
alias "Configuration Modules" "common lib"
:-)

Summarizing it up I cannot see much difference between the colored picture and
the ascii art image. The layers just have different names but have the same
purpose.

Thomas

--
Thomas Goettlicher