  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:00:49 +0100
On 02/10/2011 03:55 PM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
> It looks like new mantra called "dynamic languages". I am not sure if you ever try to handle such situations. Of course it is possible, but then code become really messy and also horrible to maintain and test it....
consider module A which depends on module B,C,D,E ( e.g. storage, language,
time, bootloader and software management)

It is not about the language, it is about the design.

In YaST, every module uses functionality of another module and links to it, instead of every module providing an implementation of a service.

So a module needs to install a package, in YaST, it imports packager, which makes every module depend on libzypp. yast2 package is the kitchensync where all the rest goes. Draw it and you get a spaghetti.

YaST should request "give a package installation implementation" and handle gracefully the fact that there is none. Which is a much higher level than catching a import error.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™