+---+---+---+---+ +--------------+
| Q | N | g | c | |webyast client|
| t | C | t | m | +------+-------+
| | | k | d | |
+---+---+---+ | http
| libyui | | |
+-----------+ +-----------+---+ +------+-------+
| lib shell | | yast modules | | rest service |
+-----------+--------+---------------+----------+--------------+
| common lib: reads/writes config files, starts/stops services |
| integration of polkit and zypp |
| SYSTEM |

OK, one more for today, because I just cannot help myself ;)

Attached is a revision of my original diagram incorporating some of the
design style of the ASCII art above.

Differences:

- There is no lib common, the lib common layer of the ASCII art diagram
is implemented by a modularized layer called "Configuration Modules".

- There is no lib-shell. In the modularized approach a power user can
import/use any module implemented in the "Configuration Modules" layer
directly, no need for additional indirection.

- No "yast modules" as in the ASCII art, I believe these are superfluous.

Additional notes:

- Policykit integration would just be another module in the
"Configuration Modules" layer

- Zypper integration could be a SUSE specific module in the
"Configuration Modules" layer, other distros would implement their own
package manager integration module (although the API of this module
would have to specified and be consistent across distributions)

- If asynchronous communication between the GUI elements and the
"Configuration Modules" layer is needed some kind of IPC mechanism could
sit between the GUI modules and the "Configuration Modules" layer. I do
not believe this to be necessary and think the GUI modules can directly
import/use modules from the "Configuration Modules" layer.

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147