On 02/10/2011 09:55 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Klaus Kaempf write:
* Jiri Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx> [Feb 10. 2011 15:37]:

But it is there now. And the result is, webYaST brings huge amount of
packages
because of YaST.

Yes :-( Thats why we have to move away from static languages like YCP
to dynamic ones like Python or Ruby. Then a failing 'import' can be
handled gracefully and package dependencies are drastically reduced.

It looks like new mantra called "dynamic languages". I am not sure if you
ever try to handle such situations. Of course it is possible, but then code
become really messy and also horrible to maintain and test it....
consider module A which depends on module B,C,D,E ( e.g. storage, language,
time, bootloader and software management)

then consider that A has if B,D is installed and C,E missing....and consider
all combination. It is nice theory, but maintenance looks horrible for me.

Yes, it can be. But each maintainer/implementer of a module can decide
how to handle this. Some module may have hard dependencies, i.e. I can
either import what I depend on or I fail. Other modules might be more
modular and might be able to handle a missing module by disabling some
functionality.

An example of this is a browser, if you don't have the flash plugin you
just cannot see flash thingies on the web, but the browser still works.
For configuration modules this could apply to things that are network
related. I could imagine the ssh configuration module doing something
like this:

try:
import yast3.firewall_config
except:
hasFirewall = false

Now the following domain specific interface

yast3.ssh.openFirewallPort

checks whether the firewall modules was loaded, and if not it does
nothing and returns an appropriate value.

In this case I do not see it as a maintenance nightmare, but rather as a
nice feature we can take advantage of by using a dynamic language.

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147