Re: [yast-devel] Amaranth: Why Ruby
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:24:39 +0100

Dne 10.2.2011 16:02, Robert Schweikert napsal(a):

On 02/10/2011 06:42 AM, Gabriele Mohr wrote:
Am 09.02.2011 15:07, schrieb Martin Vidner:
Amaranth: Why Ruby
==================

- popularity among current and potential contributors
where Ruby wins the SUSE WebYaST people and other SUSE web/Rails
developers

This is a strong argument for me - I vote for Ruby.
It's also much easier to switch between teams if the same language is used.

But it also constrains the implementation to the 4 walls of SUSE. As was
pointed out on this thread other distributions predominantly use Python
for system configuration tasks.

Yes there are unanswered questions about separation of UI code from code
that actually fiddles the settings in the config files, i.e. MVC
paradigm adherence. But it might be easier to get involved in the
existing projects and drive UI separation, if necessary, than to start
from scratch with Yet another Setup Tool language (pun intended ;) ).

One "yes" for Ruby and "no" for Python is the level of expertise we have
here in SUSE.

It took us several months maybe even years to learn Ruby, how long does
it take to learn Python or any other language? I mean "learn" in a level
that developers do not only need to consult every line of code with
documentation but even can think in the level of abstraction that the
language provides.

I don't say: Let's use Ruby. What I say is that learning something new
takes time. Sometimes a lot of time. Do we have enough time?

Bye
Lukas

- --

Lukas Ocilka, Appliances Department, Novell Inc.