Klaus Kaempf write:
* Jiri Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx> [Feb 10. 2011 15:37]:

But it is there now. And the result is, webYaST brings huge amount of
packages
because of YaST.

Yes :-( Thats why we have to move away from static languages like YCP
to dynamic ones like Python or Ruby. Then a failing 'import' can be
handled gracefully and package dependencies are drastically reduced.

It looks like new mantra called "dynamic languages". I am not sure if you ever
try to handle such situations. Of course it is possible, but then code become
really messy and also horrible to maintain and test it....
consider module A which depends on module B,C,D,E ( e.g. storage, language,
time, bootloader and software management)

then consider that A has if B,D is installed and C,E missing....and consider
all combination. It is nice theory, but maintenance looks horrible for me.

Benefit of dynamic languages is that you can change behavior based on runtime
information, but changing behavior due to miss of completely modules is really
bad idea....I don't see much ruby project which expects X different modules and
acts different (if it is not abstract layer over it ).

Pepa

--
Josef Reidinger
Appliance Toolkit team