Re: [yast-devel] A Plan for YaST: Project Amaranth
On Thursday 10 February 2011 14:36:07 Jiri Suchomel wrote:
Dne čtvrtek 10 Únor 2011 11:28:08 Klaus Kaempf napsal(a):
* Jiri Srain <jsrain@xxxxxxx> [Feb 10. 2011 08:59]:
I'd target higher here: D-Bus based interface can be only local, for
WebYaST we have the REST API on top of D-Bus anyway, so why not use it?

Thinking about it, I would propose to drop the WebYaST REST API as it
is currently.

It is too low-level and should be replaced by a richer / more
functional approach. It exposes YaSTs SCR layer, while it should
expose the YaST 'module' layer.

This is not true, at least not generally.
Current webYaST has tasks like
- list all services
- start/stop given service
- add a user
- read/write network settings
- read/setup new LDAP configuration

These actually are high level tasks, and mostly are mapped to YaPI, which
actually is YaST 'module' layer.

That's right, the question is what exactly YaPI offers. There is no generic
answer, as a consequence of the way YaPI was designed in its beginnings.

In many (NOT ALL) cases YaST modules just store parsed configuration files,
which YaPI then exposes through the interface. In such cases it would be
possible provide API on higher level than configuration file structured as XML
or YCP structure (I may overexpress a bit).

As I wrote, the above is not valid for every module. But it definitely is
something worth looking into.

Jiri

--
Regards,