Re: [yast-devel] Amaranth: Why Ruby
On Thursday 10 February 2011 13:23:24 Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Jiri Srain <jsrain@xxxxxxx> [Feb 10. 2011 10:33]:
On Thursday 10 February 2011 09:57:15 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
On 02/10/2011 08:51 AM, Jiri Srain wrote:
Python more common. As long as we want to use e.g. PackageKit as
back-end, we need to have Python installed (and occupying memory)
anyway.

Uh, why? PackageKit does not require python. Our package does because
it includes the python client API (dbus wrapper).

I just recalled that PackageKit is the reason why Python is dragged in by
WebYaST.

The main purpose of that comment was that we should be aware whether we
drag in Python code (which we have to co-maintain with the community
then). For installation, we are also limited by memory.

Regarding memory usage, I found this:

http://hentenaar.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/27-Benchmark-PHP-vs.-P
ython-vs.-Perl-vs.-Ruby.html

In these tests, Ruby consumed 30% less memory than Python.

Regarding disk space / package size, its ~20MB for Python and ~6MB for
Ruby.

That's nothing I disagree with. What I say is that

Python + Ruby > Python
Python + Ruby > Ruby

I'm advocating against resulting in a mixed environment.

Jiri

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain