Re: [yast-devel] A Plan for YaST: Project Amaranth
On Thursday, February 10, 2011 08:58:48 am Jiri Srain wrote:
On Wednesday 09 February 2011 22:56:45 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
On 02/09/2011 03:05 PM, Martin Vidner wrote:
> Take the existing unfinished attempts yast2-ruby-bindings,

yast2-libyui, ruby-yui, bind libstorage to ruby.

- loudly state the intent to make them usable, including a timeline
(see When) - provide good and up-to-date documentation
- integrate with the Ruby ecosystem:
-- document in form usual for Ruby developers (rdoc/yard)
-- get found at rubygems (if only as a stub to point to the real
package) - move from Subversion to Git (host at Gitorious, Github, or
both) (see Why Git) - give good examples of usage, by converting a
couple of production

YaST modules to the new platform

Hey Martin, this is a great start.

While I have to admit I am biased because I love ruby, There are other
reasons:

- We have done already a lot of ruby investments in the team.
- Rails is great to have. WebYaST

The plan looks great. Just some comments:

- May be separate the ruby/UI part from the ruby/YCP bridges, that is,
not access the UI using YCP but direct ruby bindings. Rethink how this
API is exposed to the language.
- Migrate/Document current use cases (y2log, y2doc, y2tools) with native
ruby equivalents
- Look at what will replace SCR. Look at COMAR. Good stuff.

I'd target higher here: D-Bus based interface can be only local, for
WebYaST we have the REST API on top of D-Bus anyway, so why not use it?
Using desktop YaST for managing machines remotely could be a nice bonus
for rather low price (meaning added to what you plan to invest), you would
not have to have the UI libraries installed on each system.
I think there should be a common library for system access (e.g. COMAR). Both
webyast backend and desktop yast link against it. Dunno if dbus is appropriate
here. Doesn't every layer slow down interaction.

I have one concern about D-Bus, probably coming from lack of knowledge: SCR
is able to run an instance in chroot, which is used during installation;
while I can imagine any kind of web service run in chroot as well, can
D-Bus handle this?

Jiri

--
Thomas Goettlicher