Re: [yast-devel] A Plan for YaST: Project Amaranth
On Wednesday, February 09, 2011 10:56:45 pm Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
On 02/09/2011 03:05 PM, Martin Vidner wrote:
> Take the existing unfinished attempts yast2-ruby-bindings,

yast2-libyui, ruby-yui, bind libstorage to ruby.

- loudly state the intent to make them usable, including a timeline (see
When) - provide good and up-to-date documentation
- integrate with the Ruby ecosystem:
-- document in form usual for Ruby developers (rdoc/yard)
-- get found at rubygems (if only as a stub to point to the real package)
- move from Subversion to Git (host at Gitorious, Github, or both) (see
Why Git) - give good examples of usage, by converting a couple of
production

YaST modules to the new platform

Hey Martin, this is a great start.

While I have to admit I am biased because I love ruby, There are other
reasons:

- We have done already a lot of ruby investments in the team.
- Rails is great to have. WebYaST

The plan looks great. Just some comments:

- May be separate the ruby/UI part from the ruby/YCP bridges, that is,
not access the UI using YCP but direct ruby bindings. Rethink how this
API is exposed to the language.
- Migrate/Document current use cases (y2log, y2doc, y2tools) with native
ruby equivalents
- Look at what will replace SCR. Look at COMAR. Good stuff.
Which alternatives to COMAR are available? COMAR is used by pardus only right
now. In a perfect world we use stuff that's popular and (web)yast is aviable
for all distros.

Duncan

--
Thomas Goettlicher