Re: [yast-devel] Amaranth: Why Ruby

Hello,

On Feb 9 15:07 Martin Vidner wrote (excerpt):
Amaranth: Why Ruby
- popularity among current and potential contributors
where Ruby wins the SUSE WebYaST people and other SUSE web/Rails
developers

What about popularity among other Linux distributors?

What do they use for their setup tools?

If they use already a common language, they might already
have an ecosystem of re-usable code and contributors.

If their code is free software, we could use it as well.
In particular basic software modules (without UI) which actually
do something in the system (e.g. read and write system settings).

I assume the UI would have to be separated because this is
where Linux distributors like to be different.

I do not know if the other Linux distributors have already
their UI software separated from their basic software which
changes the system.

Perhaps it is possible to have the UI stuff well separated
from the basic software modules which change the system?

Then it would be possible to have at least the basic software
which actually changes the system (at least almost) the same
for all Linux distributors so that all potential contributors
could help here easily regardless which Linux distribution
each individual contributor uses.

On the other hand the UI stuff which probably every
Linux distributor likes to do on his own way could be implemented
in whatever way (in particular in whatever language)
each Linux distributor likes most.

In short:

What about something like Python (or whatever the other Linux
distributors use) for the basic software which changes the system
and Ruby (or whatever we like most) for our own YaST UI?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex