Re: [yast-devel] A Plan for YaST: Project Amaranth
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 08:58:48AM +0100, Jiri Srain wrote:
On Wednesday 09 February 2011 22:56:45 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
Hey Martin, this is a great start.

While I have to admit I am biased because I love ruby, There are other
reasons:

- We have done already a lot of ruby investments in the team.
- Rails is great to have. WebYaST

The plan looks great. Just some comments:

- May be separate the ruby/UI part from the ruby/YCP bridges, that is,
not access the UI using YCP but direct ruby bindings. Rethink how this
API is exposed to the language.

Yes

- Migrate/Document current use cases (y2log, y2doc, y2tools) with native
ruby equivalents

Yes

- Look at what will replace SCR. Look at COMAR. Good stuff.

Right.

I'd target higher here: D-Bus based interface can be only local, for WebYaST
we have the REST API on top of D-Bus anyway, so why not use it? Using desktop
YaST for managing machines remotely could be a nice bonus for rather low
price
(meaning added to what you plan to invest), you would not have to have the UI
libraries installed on each system.

It feels a bit too much, but I'll remember to consider it.

I have one concern about D-Bus, probably coming from lack of knowledge: SCR
is
able to run an instance in chroot, which is used during installation; while I
can imagine any kind of web service run in chroot as well, can D-Bus handle
this?

Not out of the box, but for the installation it is simple to
reconfigure the daemon to listen on a socket visible from the
chroot or on a localhost TCP socket.
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner