Re: [yast-devel] A Plan for YaST: Project Amaranth
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 22:56:45 +0100
On 02/09/2011 03:05 PM, Martin Vidner wrote:
> Take the existing unfinished attempts yast2-ruby-bindings,
yast2-libyui, ruby-yui, bind libstorage to ruby.

- loudly state the intent to make them usable, including a timeline (see When)
- provide good and up-to-date documentation
- integrate with the Ruby ecosystem:
-- document in form usual for Ruby developers (rdoc/yard)
-- get found at rubygems (if only as a stub to point to the real package)
- move from Subversion to Git (host at Gitorious, Github, or both) (see Why Git)
- give good examples of usage, by converting a couple of production
YaST modules to the new platform

Hey Martin, this is a great start.

While I have to admit I am biased because I love ruby, There are other reasons:

- We have done already a lot of ruby investments in the team.
- Rails is great to have. WebYaST

The plan looks great. Just some comments:

- May be separate the ruby/UI part from the ruby/YCP bridges, that is, not access the UI using YCP but direct ruby bindings. Rethink how this API is exposed to the language.
- Migrate/Document current use cases (y2log, y2doc, y2tools) with native ruby equivalents
- Look at what will replace SCR. Look at COMAR. Good stuff.

Duncan