Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor

Hello Duncan,

On Feb 7 11:51 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote (shortened):

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/databasedatabaseintro

... with that you could even tell the user if the printer
will work at all, and download the driver.

However, as YaST runs as root, there has not been much
integration with the web. Something to fix.

Don't only talk about wishes!
Contribute something that helps to get it done!

First of all check and solve the legal issues.
Then check and solve the security issues.
Finally one can add the code.

This obviously needed feature is planned since a long time
(since before openSUSE 11.1), see the "Add Driver" description at
http://en.opensuse.org/Archive:YaST_Printer_redesign
and see a first idea how a matching dialog may look like
http://en.opensuse.org/images/e/ef/Printer_mschmidkunz_rc2_driverwizard_greyed.png

My matching FATE request got no single comment since Sep 2009
https://fate.novell.com/307745

Obviously nobody is actually interested in such issues.

My attempts to implement it on my own got stuck in the tar pit
of legal issues or were trapped in the snake pit of security issues.

I look forward to get those issues now solved by you
so that I can finally implement what I like to have.

Provide a secure and legal framework how to download and install
third-party RPMs "as is" from within YaST and I will instantly
implement printer driver download from OpenPrinting.org.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex