Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor

Hello,

On Feb 4 12:46 Robert Schweikert wrote (shortened):
On 02/04/2011 11:48 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:

Off topic!

Hello,

On Feb 4 11:00 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote (shortened):
I still wonder, if there is a printer database,

There is no such thing as a printer database
where printer IDs of current USB printer models
are mapped to printer driver descriptions (PPDs).

I think the OpenPrinting DB meets this need

You think about your wishes - but you don't know about the reality.

Any database and of course in particular the OpenPrinting database
could do this - if someone added the data!

Guess what: Even plain PPD files support this.
Adobe wasn't stupid when the PPD spec. was made a long time ago.

All what is missing is the actual data!

There is no need for whatever additional databases
to set up printers. Plain PPDs are perfectly sufficient.

And in some cases it works already - what a surprise!

But I a printer setup tool which only works in some cases
is not what users really need.

In those cases where automatic printer setup works there is
obviously no need that a user runs a printer setup tool
to set up his printer manually.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex