Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor

Off topic!

Hello,

On Feb 4 11:00 Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote (shortened):
I still wonder, if there is a printer database,

There is no such thing as a printer database
where printer IDs of current USB printer models
are mapped to printer driver descriptions (PPDs).

As far as I know there is not any kind of database
where something like SNMP printer IDs of network printes
are mapped to printer driver descriptions.

Lists of USB printer IDs and lists of SNMP printer stuff
may exist and all what is missing is this tiny litte part
to map them to printer driver descriptions.
Of course nothing could be more easy.
From a theoretical point of view...

In practice this idea pops up every now and then
but nothing had changed for many years - guess why!

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex