Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:00:00 +0100
On 02/04/2011 10:10 AM, J. Daniel Schmidt wrote:
> I doubt that there are many users out there willing to maintain their own CUPS
server in order not to have to use a YaST printer module.

I am very glad to have the printer configuration module as I do not want to
configure CUPS manually.

Yes you have a point there.

OSX also uses CUPS, but the printer configuration is a small settings on the desktop and not a system wide configuration that you need first that it exists.

I still wonder, if there is a printer database, why it is not possible to just plug the printer, have some rule match the id, pick the right ppd, adjust/restart cups, everything automatically (basically what Windows does if you throw the vendor CDs to the trash first).

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™