Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor

On 02/03/2011 10:22 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:

Hello,

On Feb 3 08:21 Robert Schweikert wrote (shortened):
Yes, I could configure printers via the cups web based UI,
but now I loose the integration.

What do you mean with "integration"?

YaST is an integrated tool, as a user I do not have to remember a
gazzillion names for a gazillion configuration tools. All I need to do
is start YaST, then either via point and click if in GUI mode or via
keyboard in ncurses mode I can pretty much configure everything there is
to configure. No need to remember that networking is really configured
via the lan module, etc.

If I have to remember different names and for different config tools I
might as well remember where all the config files are and edit them by
hand. Now I am at the same state we had way back when....

Do you perhaps mean that YaST provides the same kind of
user interface for all its modules?

Or do you perhaps mean that e.g. the YaST printer module "knows"
the openSUSE printer driver package RPM names so that it can
provide a dialog to install (or remove) them?

Both

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147