Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor

On 02/03/2011 02:57 AM, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
* Birger Kollstrand<birger.kollstrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [02-02-11 13:20]:
Also something to consider is in which platforms it should be usable.
Gnome, KDE, +++ and also which HW platforms. Server? Desktop?
Netbooks, Pads, appliances, mobile phones?

I was of the opinion (?mistakenly?) that YaST# was an openSUSE tool,
not a
desktop specific application.

Only considering Gnome/KDE and Server/Desktop would limit the possible
userbase tremendously.

This is a very important part because as Linux evolved and YaST stayed
the same, the needs for YaST are different.

Look at the desktop:

Who needs sound configuration? In 2003 it was pretty useful, but
nowadays I only used the module to enable or disable pulseaudio, which
is a thing the user should not care about as this switch exists only
because pulseaudio was broken.

Printer? I don't remember configuring a printer since long time. They
just show up.

Network. I only use yast2 lan when I break my factory system's
networkmanager.

Package Management? See how beautifully integrated package management is
in the KDE-4 user-mode control center. No root, simple interface. For
something more advanced you have zypper, for something more friendly
there is an appstore coming.

The only parts I see relevant in _my_ laptop to setup via YaST is
fingerprint reader because they don't work out of the box (why?). I also
create users because there is some extra magic in the way YaST does it.
May be firewall.

However all the above could be done directly from the desktop, because
you need app integration: ie, install P2P program, it should be able to
open a port from the application.

So what is really YaST role in the desktop?

This sounds like you are advocating for no YaST. However, not every
system is a desktop, not every system uses Network manager, .... the
list goes on. I find the printer module quite useful, as well as the
network configuration....

Yes, I could configure printers via the cups web based UI, but now I
loose the integration. Following this train of thought to it's logical
conclusion leads to running 20 different tools for every configuration
task, that sucks ! One of the strengths of YaST is the integration it
provides.

Robert

Novell-IBM Software Integration Center LINUX
Tech Lead
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx
781-464-8147