Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor
On Thursday 03 February 2011 11:28:38 Martin Kudlvasr wrote:

I understand your point - who needs Infrared device, Joystick attached
to a sound card, DSL, ISDN, Modem these days? Many modules just
display contents from some configuration file (fstab, hostname)
without any higher abstraction.
So the service they essentially provide is "syntax checking" (without
a choice to override).

There is one point about just dumb editors of configuration files: AutoYaST.
Getting rid of these modules completly would also mean that we get rid of
related AutoYaST functionality. And once we have the AutoYaST functionality,
run-time functionality is, depending on particular case, mostly for free.

However, I agree that there are modules which are not needed any more for none
of YaST's use cases (e.g. ISDN module).

Jiri

--
Regards,