Re: [yast-devel] Features of the YCP successor
1) introduce single alternative common programming language as 1st class
citizen

Maybe it could be interesting to define our requirements on language. from
my POV it should:
1) be easy testable
2) high-level ( in general we don't care about programming language
performance as we do many time consuming tasks and if we need good
performance in some part then use bindings (see below))
3) easy debugging (it is really annoying debug ycp via debugger)
4) easy profiling (it is hard to find bottle neck)
5) easy bind libraries, especially in C and C++
6) object oriented with exception ( it is related to 2 as it would be great
if we can easy share object ( now we share functions and global variables
and it is sometime really pain. Exception is good for error handling. It
e.g. allow easy decide if error is from user or programmer and allow proper
error message)
7) have at least medium community and codebase so we are not alone to
maintain it or be one of two maintainers
8) be enough mature, so we don't need to fight with language
9) allow easy sharing code like python eggs, ruby gem or perl cpan so we can
share our work where it make sense and have more users ( or easy use same
code also in other our products - just try remember if other our product use
any code written in YCP)

I agree with all of this, but the problem is that the only
conclusion I can make of this list is that any of Python, Ruby, Perl
is vastly superior to YCP. It does not help to choose among the 3.

Also something to consider is in which platforms it should be usable.
Gnome, KDE, +++ and also which HW platforms. Server? Desktop?
Netbooks, Pads, appliances, mobile phones?

Only considering Gnome/KDE and Server/Desktop would limit the possible
userbase tremendously.

Kind regards / Birger