  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 10:38:25 +0100
On 01/31/2011 06:10 PM, Bart Whiteley wrote:
On Jan 31, 2011, at 5:03 AM, Josef Reidinger wrote:

- Use a couple of languages people know and like

Maintenance nightmare.... E.g. I don't have problem to maintain projects in
different languages ( now RoR, perl and YCP), but if I am maintaner and someone
leave or move to another team and need to start maintaining new module which is
in new language I spend some time to learn it and it is not good idea to have
weak knowleadge of many languages. I think we should choose one language ( it
is not important if it is python, ruby, perl whatever), but we should stay with
it as then it is easy to learn just how module work and not need to know how
language work.

I agree, I meant more the ability to reuse stuff in other languages, or to allow someone to use your infrastructure from another languages without much pain.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Novell® Making IT Work As One™