  • From: Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:23:05 +0100
Hi all,

This is from someone that would like to contribute, but soon gave up
when being faced with yet anoter language.

2011/1/31 Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>:
Which goals would you achieve by implementing these ideas ?

From the company point of view I see these goal:

For Novell as a company, to maintain the competance in YCP must be a
loss. Using standard languages would make it possible to resue the
competence in other projects.
This would also of course make it much easier to get new employees up
and running and to receive contributions fro a larger community.

Also if the new language is selected according to what other
distribution uses, then reuse between projects is a much better
option.

I love the way Yast works for me as a user, and I would hate to see it
slowly go down the drain. I know RedHat/Fedora uses a lot of Python
but have no clue what Debian/Ubuntu uses.

My personal preferences would be to use Python/Qt for the most part
:-) . Please consider the portability to smaller platforms when going
forward, to only make it a server/desktop tool would be a pitty at
this stage.

- Easier integration of existing libraries, e.g. augeas, since we
  still have to implement new features. Right now we start to
  implement btrfs based snapshots where we will have a C++

- Make it easier for external contributions.

Where do external contributors currently struggle ? Is it YCP ? Is it
lack of documentation ? What else ?

From my point:
- YCP is a no go
- a consistent description of toolset, architecture and a getting
started "guide"

If a migration is decided, willit be possible to have a core set of
modules in the new system and keep the rest in the old?

Kind regards

Birger