Arvin,

thanks a lot for stepping forward and starting this dicussion !

* Arvin Schnell <aschnell@xxxxxxx> [Jan 28. 2011 16:50]:

So what seems desirable and feasible? Some ideas:

Which goals would you achieve by implementing these ideas ?

1) Replace YCP with some common language? With more that 100
modules this looks impossible.

A lot of modules will have to be removed anyway as there are no
resources to keep them all. Replacing YCP seems more feasible with a
limited set of modules (implementing a limited set of features)

2) Allow a common language next to YCP? A good integration seems
difficult.

I would assume this will add confusion.

3) Improve YCP (at least fix bugs)? Do we want that?

Can you name any specific areas in YCP urgently requiring fixes ?

4) Better bindings of C/C++ libraries for YCP?

Having good APIs is certainly a big plus, but investing into YCP does
not seem appropriate.

Other suggestion?

Can we make existing YaST modules reusable, i.e. by providing well
defined APIs (D-Bus, REST, Perl, Python, Ruby, whatever) ?

Klaus
---