On 01/28/2011 10:50 AM, Arvin Schnell wrote:
Hi,

in a recent telco the question about the direction of the YaST
architecture was raised.

In the pase a lot of things have been tried. E.g. integrate
different languages (Perl, Python, Ruby), try different build
systems (cmake), automatic generation of bindings for C/C++
libraries (libstorage) or simply use common technologies
(e.g. CIM). This is not necessarily bad but from my point of view
quite a few ideas are stuck halfway (Python integration) or are
simply of bad quality (generation of bindings). Even usage of
Perl seems to be considered to be no improvement.

But instead of removing failed approches we keep them and often
do not even look at better ways. As a result the YaST
architecture is on one hand more complex and confusing then
required and on the other hand lacks quality and features.

So now that we have minimal recourses to improve the YaST
Architecture we should concentrate on a few improvements instead
of dissipate our energies again.

So what seems desirable and feasible? Some ideas:

1) Replace YCP with some common language? With more that 100
modules this looks impossible.

Difficult, nothing is impossible. On the other hand if you have a common
language (Perl or Python) you can get more people involved to
re-implement existing modules and add new ones.

2) Allow a common language next to YCP? A good integration seems
difficult.

IMHO this would be a maintenance nightmare.

3) Improve YCP (at least fix bugs)?

This would be a god step. However, it still leaves the problem of having
to maintain the engine. In addition if there is interest in adding a new
module someone has to learn YCP. While there has been a great effort to
get YCP document the existing documentation didn't really help me to get
a module written. :( Having a language that is more popular would
probably lower the barrier of entry.

My $0.02
Robert

Software Engineer Consultant LINUX