Re: [yast-devel] Building packages in OBS YaST:Head in openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head repo
Lukas Ocilka write:
Dne 4.1.2011 16:29, Ladislav Slezak napsal(a):

Hi all,

I'm thinking about openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head repo in YaST:Head
OBS project. Do we really need to rebuild all yast packages once more for
the latest
libzypp?

I mean, currently there are 124 packages in total, but only few of them
actually depend on libzypp (pkg-bindings, *-pkg, kupdateapplet), if we
disabled
the remaining packages the build server would save quite a lot of build
power.

Rebuilding complete YaST on 2 archs (i386 + x86_64) needs to rebuild ~250
packages.

Users who use the latest libzypp (from libzypp Head) would need to add both
YaST
repos (openSUSE_Factory and openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head), but I guess there
are
just few of them (if any).

So my proposal is to build only the minimal amount instead of all packages
in openSUSE_Factory_zypp_Head repo.

Your opinions?

It is fine for me as I don't see benefit for other packages beside ones which
depend on libzypp and need to check if it build.
I also think that we should completely remove support for opensuse 11.2 because
it doesn't make sense for me as many changes is for the latest change and for
testing at least 11.3 should be minimal requirement.

Rather be safe than sorry. On there other hand, if there is any need to
decrease the number of packages being rebuilt, it's a way to go.

First of all, we need to answer these questions:
* How often do we rebuild these packages? Is that really so significant?

Yes. Rebuild happen quite often as yast has many dependencies and more target
builds is not necessary.

* Wouldn't maintenance of this solution cost us too much?

I think there is no cost. Just set as default not build for this target and
affected packages set as build for this target.

* Who's going to take care about it anyway?

I can take care, It is quite easy and fast.

Pepa

More questions than answers but that's life :)

Bye
Lukas

--
Josef Reidinger