[yast-devel] Nine easy steps to test SLMS upgrade of WebYaST 1.0 to WebYaST 1.1
  • From: Jiri Suchomel <jsuchome@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 14:01:24 +0200
It should be noted here, that I was not able to do it to the end....

I ask SLMS people to look at this as well and correct me if I'm wrong.

1. install and configure SLMS

- SLMS is avilable as appliance or addon installable over SLE11SP1
- start webyast there and choose SLMS Configuration (part of initial
webyast sequence on SLMS appliance, or accessible directly from webyast
control panel)
- enter your fqdn for Registration Host, Redirector and Update Repo host
- generate or import GPG key
- enter NCC and Studio credentials: use the links in the last tab to
acquire them
- save the config

2. in studio, create SLE11 appliance with WebYaST 1.0

- use the same studio as configured in SLMS (internal, external, onsite)
- susestudio.com currently does not offer building of SLE11 based
appliances, but you can clone some existing one (e.g. [1])
- build the appliance, but there's no need to download it yet (it will
need rebuild)

3. in SLMS web interface (accessible from webyast control center, or directly
using just https://your-slms-fqdn):

- mirror your appliances (= refresh from Studio button), it can take quite
a lot of time

- select your appliance, click on it, and click Enable on next page

- on the same page, click Adapt: this will adapt the registration data of
our appliance configuration in studio and triggers its rebuild

- for this appliance, create customer and subscription:

Go to Customers tab -> Create new customer (link on the right), enter
ID and Create

Click on customer just created -> Subscriptions -> Create new
subscription, choose your appliance and Create

- Now, you can see Registration Key in the list of Subscriptions

4. once the appliance is rebuilt, download it from studio and boot it in VM

5. in your appliance, run registration - now it should contact your SLMS:

- use the registration code seen in the SLMS list of Subscriptions

- it may fail due to unknown certificate; as a solution, copy
/etc/slms.d/certs/servercert from SLMS to your client appliance's
/etc/ssl/certs/ and run c_rehash in appliance. I do not know how this should
be handled by end-user....

6. Now, appliance should be registered against SLMS, so SLMS should be able to
provide patches for that. Let's assume you've worked in that appliance several
months now, while SP1 and WebYaST 1.1 was released meanwhile. Now, we want to
upgrade it. You can close this appliance for now, it won't be needed some
minutes... er, hours.

7. Go to studio, and edit your SLE11-based appliance. You should see

"SLES 11 SP1 is now available" message with Upgrade button.

- click on Upgrade for upgrading to SP1. Check if update channels were
upgraded correctly as well. Upgrade WebYaST 1.0 to WebYaST 1.1 manually.

- AFAIK you do not need to rebuild the appliance (SLMS works with selected
packages, not with builds)

8. Trying to create the patch(es)

- go to SLMS web UI and click Refresh from Studio. It will take its time.

- select your appliance, select Updates tab, there should be some updates
pending. Go to Testing Update Repository and Create new patch

- If it fails, it might be needed to fiddle around the packages in
Additional Packages section. In my previous attemtps, I was advices to "Add"
all of them, but this part still seems to be problematic. Ask your friendly
SLMS neighbor what to do once you are at this place.

- Once test patch is created, you can Approve and Publish it, so it
appears in public channel. (Or you can reconfigure subscription so the Test
Channel is provided to client appliances instead of Production ones)

- in Location, you can see where the patch data are stored on SLMS
(/srv/www/slms/updates/<number>), so you can manually look if it looks good

9. Once the patch is correctly generated (related bug: 640790), boot your
client appliance again. It should see the patch provided by SLMS. Try to
update. If the patch is somehow broken, webYaST is not able to report it
(which is not such a problem, becayse patches should be tested and so not
broken), so try zypper-ing.

[1] try cloning http://susegallery.com/a/pTadvY/sles-11-jeos-ready-for-cloing

--
Jiri Suchomel

Lihovarsk√° 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 960