Re: [yast-devel] Incredibly slow YCP files parsing (after 11.1 -> 11.3 upgrade)
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:42:36 +0200

Watching the log, I noticed the whole thing hangs on importing some
(random?) modules and the hangs last from 20-30 secs up to several
minutes. After that, it imports some more modules and hangs again on
importing something else ... and so on.

Are they really random, hanging on different places in different
runs of the same command?

Nah, I shouldn't have used "random" word. It always hangs in the same place
with the same command ('import Arch' with 'yast sysconfig', for example), but
in a different place with a different command.

Watching strace output, lines like this scroll by for ages:

[pid 8194] read(7, "b", 1) = 1
[pid 8194] read(7, "u", 1) = 1
[pid 8194] read(7, "s", 1) = 1
[pid 8194] read(7, ";", 1) = 1

Argh, unbuffered reads like this distort the strace quite a lot, we
must get rid of them. You can work around it by redirecting the
strace output to a file so that it does not have to scroll :-/

Redirect with '>' ? I tried 'strace -ff -o log ... ' but with lot of created
log files all over the place, I found it hard to locate the one where the hang
can be observed.

I will file a bug, of course, I guess with Y2DEBUG logs. Nothing much can be
observed with standard logging, just the long pauses while importing various
stuff I described above :(

fB.
--
\\\\\ Katarina Machalkova