Re: [yast-devel] Gtk Button Icons?
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:26:20 +0200
"Ricardo Cruz" <rpmcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

The gtk plugin honors gnome's show-button-icons flag (which wasn't
the case in 11.2), and now gnome (and opensuse along with it)
defaults to FALSE.

Thanks for all the background info, Ricardo. Very helpful.

I dunno the rationale behind the new default, but it seems clear
the gtk plugin should abide by it. It if is to be changed, I suggest we
do at the gnome level.

This setting can be changed by issuing: (for button and menu icons,
respectively)
gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/buttons_have_icons --type bool true
gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons --type
bool true

Thanks, this works great. BTW, at least the button icons are enable on
XFCE by default. This probably confused us guys in the doc department ;)

I personally find it much more comfortable to navigate through the
menu when icons are enabled. Button icons I find are less visually
useful (they are scarce and often their location already conveys their
semantics), so it only adds to the overall UI pollution.

At least in YaST I like all this color stuff (because otherwise the
config dialogs often look boring). It is also helpful if you switch
between gtk and qt often.

Should we fill a bug report to get some feedback on this?

Good idea. I'll keep you posted.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation