Re: [yast-devel] Gtk Button Icons?
  • From: "Ricardo Cruz" <rpmcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 19:49:12 +0200
Hi Karl,

The gtk plugin honors gnome's show-button-icons flag (which wasn't
the case in 11.2), and now gnome (and opensuse along with it)
defaults to FALSE.

I dunno the rationale behind the new default, but it seems clear
the gtk plugin should abide by it. It if is to be changed, I suggest we
do at the gnome level.

This setting can be changed by issuing: (for button and menu icons,
respectively)
gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/buttons_have_icons --type bool true
gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons --type bool true

I personally find it much more comfortable to navigate through the menu
when icons are enabled. Button icons I find are less visually useful (they are
scarce and often their location already conveys their semantics), so it only adds
to the overall UI pollution.

Should we fill a bug report to get some feedback on this?

Cheers,
Ricardo

Quoting "Karl Eichwalder" <ke@xxxxxxx>:

On my 11.3 RC2 installation, the yast config modules (gtk ui) lack the
small icon on buttons such as Cancel or Ok. Do you know the reason why?
What's the default now on openSUSE? With or without icon?

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation