Re: [yast-devel] YCC Icon Labels and Dialog Titles
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:56:10 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Jun 16 10:44 Karl Eichwalder wrote (shortened):
The icon label texts and the title of the dialogs, that get started if
you click the icon in YCC are often not the same. Often there are only
minimal differences, though. I think they should always be the same,
because then the product would look more polished.

I think usually they should be intentionally different.

The icon label text should be usually one or two generic words
which _name_ the module as a whole.

In contrast the title of the particular dialog which is shown
initially should be usually several words which _describe_ what
this particular dialog is about (usually some kind of overview)
so that one or two generic words which name the module as a whole
are insufficient to distinguish the overview from other dialogs.

Perhaps when the module has basically only one dialog and
when there are only minimal differences, it may make sense
(depending on the particular case) to have the same word
for icon label and dialog title - but not in general - and
of course never ever "always the same".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex