Re: [yast-devel] YCC Icon Labels and Dialog Titles
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:56:48 +0200
Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx> writes:

Yes, but I too think it is quite minor an issue. I think we will not
fix it unless you send us a patch that we could simply apply

Ok, fair request—would have been a nice hack week project for a
not-hacker such as me :) OTOH, as long as the string is defined in two
places, they will drift apart. We must define the string in one place,
from where the other occurrences can inherit it. At the same time, we
could think about button labels and there mentioning in help texts.

(after 11.3, as we'll have RC1 any time now).

Yes, sure.

It would also ease the work of third parties such as documentation
writers, software translators, and even support and helpdesk people.

Really? Yes, translators had 2 strings to translate, but I'd expect
it to be done by now.

Yes, but sometimes wrongly or confusingly. Only experienced translators
know, which icon label has something in common with which (yast)
dialog. There was quite some confusion once we changed "package
manager" to "software management/manager"...

Any other problems?

As a writer, you often do not know the name of a component. "software
management" or "software manager"--that's a difference, but you as a
writer must take a decision. That's fine, and then s.o. else will
take over "your" file and, maybe, change it ;) Of course, documentation
translators must change their texts, too.

--
Karl Eichwalder
R&D / Documentation