Re: [yast-devel] Tabs and spaces
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:04:10 +0200
Martin Vidner write:
Hi,

this file is misaligned:

http://gitorious.org/opensuse/yast-rest-service/blobs/master/plugins/roles/app/controllers/roles_controller.rb

It is because the Tab *character* ("\t") aligns at 8 columns
(Emacs: tab-width, vim: tabstop), which is used by the terminal if
you "cat".

Do not confuse that value with the indentation offset (Emacs:
c-basic-offset, vim: shiftwidth), invoked by the Tab *key*, which is
apparently 2 in that file, but the author mistakenly modified the
tab-width to 2 too. Please check your editor settings.

For details, see http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Note that where are various modes of strictness that can be applied
in a project about indentation, spaces, and tabs. I prefer the
relaxed side, tab-width=8 being the hard limit.

When you fix the indentation, please do it in a separate commit so
that it does not hide more substantial changes.

It is my file and it is caused as I sometime use kate instead of vim and
doesn't set it properly. I prefer using spaces instead tab, so my newly
commited file has spaces.

Josef

--
Josef Reidinger