Re: [yast-devel] redesign of repo module UI
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:30:19 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 23 16:41 Katarina Machalkova wrote (shortened):
This was about bug #580938, which complains that "DNS tab of
network configuration is too technical"

i.e. I was not referring to configuration of bind, dnsmasq & friends, but to
the dialog that configures 'nameserver' entries in one's /etc/resolv.conf.

A perfect example for my previous mail.

I fully agree that "DNS" is too technical for this setup task
(i.e. a normal end-user wants to set up his workstation
in a DHCP-less network).

On the one hand the "ultimate goal" is that network setup
on an end-user workstation works without help text.

On the other hand "ultimate changes everywhere" are needed
to get there - here in particular changes in Mac OS and
Windows which use the same technical term and thereby define
a word which is actually meaningless for most normal end-users
but they must have learned like a performing animal to react
appropriately when they spot this word on the screen.

Therefore I also fully agree to close bug #580938 as wontfix.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex