Re: [yast-devel] redesign of repo module UI
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:28:12 +0100
Martin Schmidkunz write:
Hi!

Thanks for all your comments!

Concerning hide/show behaviour:
There is already a basic overview concept created by Robert Lihm
(gagarin.suse.de):
On hover the basic actions (edit/delete) are shown and then executed on click.
I didn`t use this mock up because it was too complex for my skills (e.g. it
used three different style sheets)
I will add it to the style guide in the next days.

@Josef, Bubli:
after experiencing Robert`s mock up, what are your impressions now?

Robert mock is better. Why? Because mouse over just show actions. Problem of
your mock is that after mouse over page start changing, moving etc. And it is
stressing ( because it looks like "action" ) because you just move mouse over.
So I think that in general mouse over is good for hide/show which doesn't move
anything on screen. If you need to show more details etc I prefer click to show
and click to hide.

Concerning the term "repository":
OK, let`s stick with it (although my stomach aches a little bit, but at least
we are consistent with other Novell products and avoid another major time
consuming discussion)

Explaining "Priorities":
An icon would be one solution, but it would break with the rest of the
current webYaST concept.
The other idea would be to add a simple line of text like "If packages are
available in more repositories, the one with the highest priority will be
preferred." in a smaller font below the term "Priority".

Spinbox:
Spinbox would be a good idea nonetheless I suggest to give the user a hint
about min/max values and meaning of values (0 highest, 99 lowest)

Maybe so big range is confusing for target customer...maybe we should reduce
options to small subset like always preferred (0), prefered (25), default (50),
use when better is not present (75), latest chance (99). And I think we should
use names for states, because number doesn't say behavior of that number. If
you have priority and names for priority states you can easy understand.
Numbers is good when you want exact data and it is important like age or date
of birth. I think target user need maximum five states (but I think that 3
should be also enough). And if you still want to use numbers I prefer slider
over spinbox especially if we have range.

Enable/disable: Why not use a check box?
The reason is that check box has a relative small target hit area compared to
a button. Secondly combined with explanatory status text a labelled button
seem to be more easy to understand.

"Keep downloaded packages"
Is this really something for the GUI? Compared with the settings level in
other module this seems quite complex to me.

agree. And if we still want to use it I think better name is one which say why
user should enable this checkbox like "Save bandwitch for reinstalling from
this repo"

Josef

Cu,

Martin