Re: [yast-devel] redesign of webyast users module
  • From: Ralf Haferkamp <rhafer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:37:43 +0100
Am Donnerstag 07 Januar 2010 13:47:22 schrieb Klaus Kaempf:
* Ralf Haferkamp <rhafer@xxxxxxx> [Jan 07. 2010 11:49]:
Am Dienstag 29 Dezember 2009 11:05:46 schrieb Martin Schmidkunz:
Hi,

please find some ideas for a redesign of webYaST`s "Users" module
at: http://home.arcor.de/martin.schmidkunz/ (wasn`t sure if it is
a good idea to store all the jquery stuff in my Export...)
It is based on rlihm`s mock up (http://gagarin.suse.de/).

[..]

Do you have any other topics concerning users module GUI?

I am unsure about the use case of the Users Module in WebYaST.

Well, we're requested to deliver it. But I share your view ;-)

How many users do you expect to be managed through it?

How many users will be accessing an appliance ?
Depends on what "accessing an appliance" means here. If you talk about
accessing it through the WebYaST interface, I guess we are talking about
a very limited set of users.
If we talk about the users that access the appliance by other means
depeding on the appliance the number can be quite large I guess :).

Should it support LDAP based users like yast2-users?
No. The current scope explicitly limited to /etc/passwd.
Are there any plans to extend that to external sources at some point? I
can think of use cases where it might make perfect sense to allow WebYaST
Users being managed in a Directory. The access policies might fit there
as well.

If yes, then it might need to handle quite a large amount of users
(thousands?) e.g. by providing functionality to search for a
specific users and/or to filter the list by certain criteria instead
of always showing all available users.

If it is only intended for managing local /etc/passwd users such
things are probably not needed.

regards,
Ralf