Re: [yast-devel] How to show a literal '&' in an UI string?
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 12:26:26 +0100 (CET)

Hello Katarina,

On Nov 13 17:16 Katarina Machalkova wrote (shortened):
Hi, Johannes,

I like to display a literal '&' in a UI dialog string like:
`InputField( `id(`options),
_("Options (option1=value1&option2=value2)"),

Try doubling the & char. The above would then become:
"Options (option1=value1&&option2=value2)"

Alas, it works only in Qt :( Gtk shows underscore and ncurses shows both &&'s

Conclusion: we can't do it now (at least not in widgets supporting activation
by hotkey). I'm sorry I can't give you more positive answer.

Your answer is perfectly o.k. because a straightforward "impossible"
saves a lot of time with useless trial and error attempts.

I already had changed my text to avoid the literal '&'
but nevertheless I was interested how to do it.

For my understanding:
Am I right that escaping like '\&' or encoding like '\046'
cannot work here because what the hotkey stuff gets
is the result of escaping and encoding i.e. the hotkey stuff
gets already a literal '&' (a byte with octal value 046)
so that this character can no longer be used otherwise?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex