Re: [yast-devel] idea for 11.3 / installation procedure
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:38:17 +0100
* Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [Nov 12. 2009
17:34]:
Hello Yast-Hackers.

11.2 has hit the virtual shelves and this of course gives us all the freedom
to hack on whatever we feel like hacking on.
And of course, before every hack comes the idea (and sometimes the
discussion).

So let me just throw an idea in the room, which some might like, some might
not.

I'd propose a change in the installation workflow, when creating users,
mainly assigning a password.
At this stage, you enter the Full name, requested username and the user's
password. Once you click NEXT the system is checking the strength of the
password and let's you know (sometimes in 2 dialog boxes) if you're sure that
you want to use the password.

Whenever I observe users, I see them straight clicking through. Typically, a
computer that asks something has to be answered with 'YES'.

On the other hand, I observed users choosing their password on some websites,
which use a 'strength meter' for the password. Every letter you type
makes the meter go up, showing the strength. Surprisingly enough, as there is
a live visual feedback, users more often try to twek their password
(according the 'explanation' given around the strength meter) in order to
achieve a 'green' strength meter, or at least getting to the yellow bars.

After googling a bit, in order to give some visualization for you fellow
readers, I can offer you: http://ui-patterns.com/userset/39/image/553#focus

What does everybody think about such an enhancement? (yes, of course I can
file it in fate... but it's useless to file if everybody just jumps and
yells NOOO!!!).

I'd say: perfect, esp. for WebYaST !

If you don't file the FATE entry, I will ;-)

Klaus
---