Re: [yast-devel] system services vs custom service
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:44:13 +0200
On 8.10.2009 10:28, Martin Schmidkunz wrote:
Hi,

while testing the latest webYaST appliance (0.0.10), which runs nice and
smoothly so far, I was puzzled by two modules:
System Services and Custom Service.
What is the difference between those two modules? And what is the
reason, why they are separated?
Because to me, as a Newbie, both modules basically set up some services.

Actually Florian has already asked this question, here my reply:

Custom service
--------------

It is a special view in the service module (see later), it provides a
possibility to
define start/stop control for a custom service (a third party application, e.g.
database server). The vendor defines what should be called to start/stop the
service.

The customization is stored in /etc/YaST2/custom_services.yml file.
Example:

# This is an example of how could the configuration file for custom services
# look like.
#
# It is a map of type
#
# service name:
# start: path to application that should start the service
# stop: path to application that should stop the service
# status: path to application that should query the service status
#
# The file needs to be located under /etc/YaST2/.
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# The list of services that could be operated by webYaST services module.
# Add only name of service if there is /etc/init.d/<service-name> available.
# Otherwise, provide also service description and paths to start, stop and
# status scripts.

collectd:
start: "/usr/sbin/rccollectd start"
stop: "/usr/sbin/rccollectd stop"
# status: "/usr/sbin/rccollectd status"

System Services
No config possible, it just displays the basic system services like ntp,
network,
alsa, firewall, dbus...

It displays the current status (running/not running) and allows to start/stop
a service. Pretty simple...

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slezák