Re: [yast-devel] GUI related questions about registration
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:05:53 +0200
* Michael Calmer <mc@xxxxxxx> [Oct 06. 2009 09:51]:

Having the registration server configurable in a config file ? I fully
agree.

Well,, for appliance, we do not have anything like 'installation
parameter'
to set up registration server. We need other means to provide easy way to
adapt this during deployment.

For what is this web yast module? Only for appliances or should it replace
(some day) the current (traditional) yast module?

Its solely for appliances. Thats where our current focus is.

If and when it will replace the traditional yast module, I cannot say.

If it should replace the traditional yast module, the functionallity to
change
the registration server URI is required.

Absolutely.

So creating a new module which remove this feature again, is a
step back.

Its not being removed, its just not exposed in WebYaST.

And also for the appliance only case we should think about adding this
feature.

Agreed. Maybe WebYaST for SLE11 SP1 will add it.

For now, lets stick with the needs (and requirements) of appliances.

Once the WebYaST registration module is fully functional _and_ there's
time left, we can add features. But not any earlier.

How many customers using an appliance "feel good" to use an editor or
an commandline tool to change the registration server URL to use its
own SMT server?

That's probably a question to product management. Currently, we have
limited knowledge about our end users.

Klaus
---