[yast-devel] reverting the Yast icon in 11.2
  • From: Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:18:02 +0200
Hi folks,

I'd like to propose to revert the Yast launcher icon to the original
wrench for usability reasons. This would be the first time we'd expose
people to a cute little animal as an icon. Of course it's a chicken
and egg problem setting up a brand. There are a few cases where
building a brand for a product has preference over a clear metaphor
giving insight on what the tool does. But I don't think it's the case
with Yast. Yasti, the aardvark is a great mascot, perfect for
conference swag. Exposing him everywhere it mentions Yast is a bad
choice in my opinion.

I don't think we aim for people on Fedora or Ubuntu to switch their
configuration tools to YaST. We want people to switch to openSUSE. Our
brand focus should be on openSUSE. I think it's best to revert back to
the wrench for the icon.

cheers

--
Jakub Steiner <jimmac@xxxxxxxxx>