Re: [yast-devel] use-activeresource
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett" <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:19:25 +0200
On Thursday 10 September 2009 08:08:45 Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx> [Sep 09. 2009 18:09]:
On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:58:03AM +0200, Jiri Srain wrote:
mvidner:
- cooperation with Karel

I've pushed what we achieved during yesterday as a branch
use-activeresource in the client:
http://git.opensuse.org/?p=projects/yast/web-client.git;a=shortlog;h=refs
/heads/use-activeresource

It still needs features and refactoring, but it already
- fixes ActiveResource::Base.find :one (by adding the "else" to the
"case") - can access /permissions.xml
while being more readable.

Can you enlighten us which problem this fixes and some background on
the solution ?

The original YaST::ServiceResource was done to overcome the following
limitatons:
- ActiveResource not supporting singleton resources (find :one)
- Automatic extraction of the path from the interface name
- Gathering of resource permissions in order to enable /disable things in the
user interface.

However, it had a dynamic approach where you ask for the proxy instead of
declaring a model class.

I think Martin approach is saner and easier for Rails developers. I am not
sure how he expects to un-hardcode the remote path prefix by using the
interface, but I like the design of declaring the options in the model class
itself, in the same style of has_many and so on, one could get something like
with_interface "org.yast..." as an option to the path derived from the class.

How to do a transition is unknown, but I guess one could use the new class as
most resources are still being in / and we can transparently add the
instrospection feature later.

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Engineering Manager, YaST